Star Traks: BorgSpace - Cube #238 MiniSeries

This is the place to discuss the various Star Traks series and stories.
Queen of BorgSpace

Re: Star Traks: BorgSpace - Cube #238 MiniSeries

Post by Meneks »

Thought I'd provide an update. There is good news and bad news.

First the good news: I ordered and received the RAM I needed last Wednesday. I put it in on Thursday. The computer booted. All was happy! Horray! :D But as I had my father visiting, I reluctantly shut down the computer and put it away until such time he headed on home.

Now, the bad news: Computer booted fine on Monday. I put it to sleep, as usual, but could not get back to it until tonight (Wednesday). Computer did not wake up. I powered it down via the power button, and restarted it. Only to get the memory beeps of doom. I reopened and reset the memory. Rebooted to more beeps of doom. Conclusion? I received faulty memory. :( So, now back to square 1, only this time I've just finished filling out the web form so I can get my return authorization number so that I can get new (hopefully not crappy) memory so that I can stop writing this run-on sentence.

*Sigh* Not what I needed right now. The computer gods are obviously telling me to get a new laptop, regardless of the fact that I cannot really afford a new computer at the moment. I just want this one to work long enough so that I can backup everything before it dies again.

I guess, for BorgSpace, I'll resurrect my outline partway through my part-written story and continue on from there, hoping that what I write out meshes with the first part (once I manage to get it off my poor, abused laptop).
Currently working on -
Star Traks: BorgSpace - Book 3, Part 1 - "Invocation of the Birds - Ruffled Vulture, Dusty Pheonix"

--Time is merely an illusion perpetrated by the manufacturers of space
(Anonymous)
El yerno no favorito

Post by Star Traks »

sorry to hear about your troubles

The 'mean time between failure', 'faulty part' and 'planned obsolence' paradoxes are hard to avoid.
I honestly hear your words about cash mangement - many people have no choice in becoming a DIYer to keep items running - we finally retired our '82 dishwasher several months ago :D . Fate had Murphy's Law appear in our washing machine soon afterwards - another old appliance where parts are difficult/impossible to find :( .

Godspeed Meneks !
Distant Origin 3.23 Saurian Professor Gegen: It wasn't an invasion. We were on a field expedition to learn more about your species. We meant no harm. I'm a molecular paleontologist.
Chakotay: [referring to injury] Do you always harpoon the local wildlife?
Queen of BorgSpace

Post by Meneks »

Well, I've a dryer one short on the heating element. Whenever my dad visits, he says I should do some searching for a new element and put it in. I nod my head (what else am I supposed to do?), then forget about it. Hey, it's coming on summer now, and the laundry line doesn't need electricity at all. And if the heating element on the sun goes out, I think there will be larger issues than needing to run the dryer twice when heavy towels or jeans are to be dried.

Paranoid me has just went and bought a 1 TB external drive to backup my (even older) desktop, while I wait for the RAM module to resurrect the laptop. Box claimed the drive would run out of the box on my Mac, even with the older operating system. Box lied. So I simply reformatted the entire thing. Now it works. May not have any fancy bells and whistles, but I do not care. I just want a backup drive you copy things on. And when the laptop is up as well, it'll get the backup treatment too.

Okay, enough whining on my BorgSpace miniseries thread. Maybe next time I post, it'll actually be to announce miniseries story #15 (still can't recall what I finally called it...probably because I decided a day or two before the computer died) is ready to read.
Currently working on -
Star Traks: BorgSpace - Book 3, Part 1 - "Invocation of the Birds - Ruffled Vulture, Dusty Pheonix"

(Anonymous)
Queen of BorgSpace

Post by Meneks »

Okay, I lied. One more update...

After complaining to the company I bought my memory from that they shipped me a bad SIMM, I thusly received a new one. And, upon installing it, heard the Beeps O' Doom. Given the high unlikelihood of yet another bad module, I glared at my computer for a little while, then decided to try putting the SIMM in the other free memory slot. Well, long story short, it worked. Seems that one of the memory slots is fried. And, not trusting that the other slot isn't about to fry itself as well, thus leaving me without a laptop (and my story-in-progress locked within), I've just spent the last hour copying anything that seems mildly important, or for which I cannot remember the last time I transferred back to the desktop, to the tetrabyte back-up drive.

And now I am definitely in the market for a new laptop. But, unfortunately, it will be awhile, since tomorrow I am taking off on the trip to the Philippines that has been quite a time in the making. :mrgreen: Needless to say, the final BorgSpace story of the cube #238 miniseries, although now rescued from the laptop and no longer needing to be resurrected from imperfect memory, will still be a bit until it is completed. There are more important things to do, like meet up with friend and his family on the other side of the Pacific (after a four day [on purpose] lay-over on Honolulu) for two weeks of tropical fun.

And, no, as I've told many people by now, I do not have room in my suitcase. Once I transfer to interisland air transport in the Philippines, there is a 15 kilo (33 lbs) limit to my check-on before I get hit with baggage charges. And unless you want to (1) be crunched up in my luggage for 15+ hours, and (2) are willing to pay me over the overage costs, you are not going to the Philippines.

Anyway, going to be a bit until I pay myself back for my vacation; and, thus, a while until a new laptop. Still have the trusty old desktop, however.

On the other upside, while waiting to resurrect the laptop, I did start the Cube #237 Assimilations story about Weapons. Hey, maybe I'll post both of the stories at the same time?
Currently working on -

(Anonymous)
Head Traks Guy

Post by cmdrajd »

I'm glad to hear that you were able to recover the story.

And that trip sounds amazing. I hope you have a fantastic time!
"I'm not insane -- my mother had me tested." - Sheldon Cooper, "The Big Bang Theory"
Makin' Traks

Post by borgcrazy »

You know what? 2 stories at once would definitely be worth the wait.
We're not going to talk about how long I've been working on a particular story...
Queen of BorgSpace

Post by Meneks »

Long time, no write...

The Star Traks: BorgSpace - Cube #238 MiniSeries concludes with:

Bobble, Bobble, Toil and Trouble - Web version
Bobble, Bobble, Toil and Trouble - Text version

Lugger-class Cube #238 is finally on the final leg to the Borg home system, with only a short stop at a automated observatory for routine swap-out of old equipment with new. In only hours, maybe a few days, the disastrous duty cycle will be over, cargo will be off-loaded, and the cube will head to dry-dock to be fixed. Even the unusual anomaly in the home system is, for once, not the problem of the sub-collective. Then...bobbles happen. And the happen all over the place.
Currently working on -

(Anonymous)
Makin' Traks

Post by borgcrazy »

Oh sure, I don't check here for a few days because of work and crap, and you not only put up a new story, but on the day after my birthday.
Oh who am I kidding? I'm totally stoked! I'm uploading it to my ereader now.