Star Traks: BorgSpace

This is the place to discuss the various Star Traks series and stories.
Queen of BorgSpace

Re: Star Traks: BorgSpace

Post by Meneks »

Is That A Parrot On You Shoulder, Or Are You Just Wobbly Like That?

This story was a difficult one to finish, for some reason. Sometimes I have a story stuck in the back of my brain, and it just flows out in a manner of days. Even when I am busy, I still find time to write for a half hour here or an hour there, all to get the first draft on paper. Other times, it is a struggle, and "Wobbly" definitely qualifies as that.

For example, the plot just would not gel. At first, I envisioned a Weapons-centric story, but as I already had one of those, that idea was tossed. Then there was the fuzzy thought of vampires, followed by raiders who wanted Borg blood to harvest nanites for use as an aphrodisiac. Several additional variations made it into the mix as well, until the Garcon and Brainiacs sorted out of the mess. I'm still not completely satisfied, but it is more coherent than some of the plots that were kicked around.

And then there was the rewriting. The beginning, after the page lead-in, had to be completely redone once it became apparent that I was to have 18 of 150 as the central character. Weapons (and Prime) had to be completely taken out of the story as relevant characters because their personalities are too forceful...if they were present in a meaningful way, either or both would quickly come to dominate the proceedings. To have them /not/ play a central role would be odd. Reserve, on the other hand, is more willing to stay in the background. Such probably is a result of the many years he's spent dodging cameras.

There were other rewrites, both major and minor. When was approaching page 30, I went back and deleted the third Brainiac, paring what had been a trio to a duo. That changed quite a few things. I also removed several full paragraphs in the editing process when I saw that I was wandering off into explanations that really were not needed. Perhaps in a story with multiple hundred pages such character or species development would be applicable, but not in an overly long short story.

So, in the end I'm mostly satisfied. Not completely. If I was to rewrite again, there are several things I would change. However, given that this story had to come to an ending so that I could move on to the next, of which I am looking quite forward to, I decided to keep it in the current form.
Currently working on -
Star Traks: BorgSpace - Book 3, Part 1 - "Invocation of the Birds - Ruffled Vulture, Dusty Pheonix"

--Time is merely an illusion perpetrated by the manufacturers of space
(Anonymous)
Queen of BorgSpace

Post by Meneks »

Two for the price of one posting because, yes, I forgot to post to the forum when I completed Medical Malpractice.

Medical Malpractice

This story was primarily for character development. It has been awhile since I looked at the story - I tend to let them lie once they are complete, going back when I need to for, say, background information - but it is a darker one. As much as I like writing about the Borg, they are villains, and not-so-nice villains at that, even if those of an imperfect nature tend to get caught up in rather odd, even silly, adventures at times. This story, at its root, reminds me (and the readers) of the underlying nature of my characters.

And Doctor needed to have his ego inflated a bit more, besides. Just think, this is the size of his ego as a Borg, suitably deflated and punctured by his assimilation. Pre-assimilation, that ego must have had its own gravitational well.

Bloodsport

Because Medical Malpractice was so dark, I made sure Bloodsport was much lighter. And, trust me, with a topic such as gladiatorial games, that was not easy. How is one supposed to make blood and gore and potential battles-to-the-death light-hearted, even silly?

I feel that I did succeed, however.

Do not know what to say here. Guess my brain isn't working too well this afternoon. Probably the paint fumes from too much home remodeling this weekend. All I can say is that I had fun. Engineer and the daasgot was a hoot to write; and taking down Prime with the joompas was fun as well. The joompas was all stereotype - cute critter that turns out to be deadly - but, what the hey. Still works. The Weapons segment was a bit harder to write, and it took me quite a while to figure out in my head how I wanted that one to go. Several rewrites, in fact; and the print-out edit was very, very marked up. I also struggled with how to finish the free-for-all (and, also, the acronym for KERF...that was /very/ hard), but once I had the flash of They and the holowand, it just flowed.

Hope you enjoy the story as much as I did once it came together.

And, for the record, I do hope that the final two stories of the Cube #238 mini-series take a wee bit less time than the once-per-three-month rate I'm writing at the moment. It is winter, and no more field season, so there is a strong possibility I will be...one-story-per-two-months!

Oh, and I just came up with an idea for Story #14, which, until now, has been without a title! Progress!
Currently working on -
Star Traks: BorgSpace - Book 3, Part 1 - "Invocation of the Birds - Ruffled Vulture, Dusty Pheonix"

(Anonymous)
Queen of BorgSpace

Post by Meneks »

Something Shiny This Way Comes

Well, I finally finished the next-to-the-last story of the Cube #238 mini-series. To tell the truth, I actually completed it a month ago, but there was the visit by the relative (concurrent with my birthday), then the weather started to change and I have been forced to play in my garden on the weekends. Lots of excuses, yup, but there you go.

"Something Shiny This Way Comes" is a story centering around Sensors. I saved her story for last primarily because I was at a loss as how to showcase her. I'm not completely satisfied, but I am feeling better than when I began. There was quite a bit of editing at one point, and part of the story very much does not resemble the initial draft. For that reason, as well as that given above, is why it took so long to get this story out.

At this point, I feel I am set up quite well for the series finale...except for the little issue with no title for that story as of yet. It'll eventually come, probably in the days before I post it. And, no, I have no clue when that will be. Hopefully in the next couple of months, but various upcoming things at work, as well as some traveling, will dictate that schedule. Oh, and the garden. And hiking. And fishing. I have to set my priorities!

There is one easter egg in "Something Shiny"; and if not an easter egg, at least my subconscious butting in to write the story without me realizing it. It wasn't until I was editing that I realized that, once again, I had linked the mysterious dues-ex-machine craziness which is BorgSpace quantum to butterflies once again. Check out the various vurbit descriptions. Frightening, huh? I have now promised myself to always be nice to butterflies, if only to try to avoid the "accidental" wing flap which might create weather to ruin my weekends, or, in the worse case, send me into another reality.

I suppose I could write something more, but nothing much is coming to mind. Perhaps an ephinany will come to me later, or maybe not. :P
Currently working on -

(Anonymous)
Queen of BorgSpace

Post by Meneks »

Bobble, Bobble, Toil and Trouble

Ah, the mini-series finale has finally arrived!

When I started the Lugger-class Cube #238 mini-series, I always knew how it would end. Heck, I gave a preview with the future echoes in "The Day The Cube Stood Still", which makes one wonder what else I may have hinted at there for future endeavors, as well as elsewhere in the series.... Anyway, as I was saying, I knew that Cube #238 would be there when my old friends from Exploratory-class Cube #347 were re-incarnated. In the original series, note that I never showed what came after Cube #347 popped back from the after-life. Well, now you know.

There are things I am unsatisfied about, for instance there was no way to fully explain how the anomaly and the bobbles were connected, so I just sort of left it there hanging so as to move on to the more fun bits. One can only have so much exposition, after all. I also feel that there should have been a better name for the bobbles than "bobble", but that is what popped into my brain (along with the story title), so I just had to go with it in the end.

As far as the bobbles, I envisioned them as a space-faring cross between a jellyfish and a Mormon cricket. If you have never had the experience of living where Mormon crickets swarm each summer, count yourself lucky. Seeing "slick roads" ice signs show up in the middle of 90 degree weather is a bit disconcerting the first time you see them, until you go across the cricket juice where the little buggers have all been squished on the highway, only to learn that, yes, cricket guts are that slick. Did you know that the crickets at the back of the swarm tend to be more, um, carnivorous than the ones at the front? That's why the swarms keep moving, because to stop is to be eaten by the ones coming up behind. The one in front eat all the good stuff, which leaves the pickings a little slim for the ones in the back, unless they can catch one of their front-running breathren, that is. Yummy! In the end, it leaves a lot of inspiration for the BorgSpace writer to build her bobbles, including all that quasi-biology background that the Borg never bothered to acquire.

So, that's about all I am to write here. Continue on to the next post for additional tidbits concerning BorgSpace.
Currently working on -

(Anonymous)
Queen of BorgSpace

Post by Meneks »

Happy late New Year!

Yes, I'm ever and ever horrible about posting, and I'm not even going to make a resolution to check here (and post) more regularly. I'll only break it, so why even bother?

Anyway, now that the Cube #238 mini-series is done, now what?

First of all, the discerning reader will discover that there is quite a bit that has been updated on the BorgSpace webpage over the last month or so. There are a lot of background chores that needed to be done that are now complete, including figuring out why the page counter wasn't working, followed by fixing it. I'm still doing some background tweaking, but I think I'll have most of the housekeeping completed before the end of January.

Next on the agenda is the *drum roll* BorgSpace Book #3. I've had the idea for it for awhile, but only with the conclusion of the mini-series could I finally move on it. I've even started the writing of it, and I as I write this forum post, the prologue has already been completed and is awaiting editing. It may even show up on-line by the end of the month, after I set up the updates for the book page.

So, you are asking, what is it to be about? Well, I'll let you figure it out, but I will say that I am returning to Cube #347. As far as the plot, I've already provided several clues here and there, both in the Cube #347 series, as well as the recently completed mini-series. Love me, or hate me, I'm just like that...I love secret arcs!

What I will do is provide both the book title, as well as the titles for each of the four main parts. The titles may seem a bit odd, but there is a method to my madness, one which will receive further explanation as each bit is posted. As far as when things will be posted, other than the prologue, I do not know. Schedules are irrelevant. My goal is to work on it throughout the year, hopefully with postings every couple of months. We'll see how that goes. Anyway:
  • Title:Invocation of the Birds
    Prologue
    Part 1: Ruffled Vulture, Dusty Phoenix
    Part 2: As the Crow Flies
    Part 3: Where Chickens Dare to be Eagles
    Part 4: The Swan's Aria
    Epilogue
One thing I will mention is that I was so tempted to use "Emu in the Sky With Diamonds" as the title, but it didn't really work out. The phrase will pop up at some point during the story, however.

Cheers! :D
Currently working on -

(Anonymous)
Queen of BorgSpace

Post by Meneks »

The BorgSpace author has been busy! Sufficiently busy that the prologue to "Invocation of the Birds" is now posted:

Direct link to web version: Invocation of the Birds - Prologue
Direct link to text version Invocation of the Birds - Prologue

Not too much to talk about for this first taste of the story to come. It is fairly short, and a set-up (of course) for what will come next. Which will be posted eventually. If I receive sufficient bribes. Further discussions of the various part will happen when those parts are set free to the twisting pipes of the web-world.

Oh, one last thing! Here's the "movie poster" I put together for this latest BorgSpace project. Enjoy!

Currently working on -

(Anonymous)
Makin' Traks

Post by borgcrazy »

Meneks wrote:Which will be posted eventually. If I receive sufficient bribes.
What constitutes a sufficient bribe and where do I have it delivered to?
Because yes.
El yerno no favorito

Post by Star Traks »

Greetings to one and all!!

Finally had time to read your prologue. Amazing how one portion of your prologue
...The complaint was dutiful accepted by one of the several overworked partitions of command and control hierarchy tasked to deliberate grievances. After about a minute, the objection was declared to have insufficient merit to warrant further consideration...
really meshed with a Crock cartoon at http://www.oregonlive.com/comics-kingdo ... 2013-02-06

[Brevity intent ;-)] Such primitive deliberation decisions would never enter into the overworked partitions of command and control hierarchy tasked to deliberate grievances.

Meneks, I am too broke to pay attention for the forseeable future. I may only honor you with the phrase 'A job well done'.
Distant Origin 3.23 Saurian Professor Gegen: It wasn't an invasion. We were on a field expedition to learn more about your species. We meant no harm. I'm a molecular paleontologist.
Chakotay: [referring to injury] Do you always harpoon the local wildlife?
Makin' Traks

Post by borgcrazy »

Honestly, I haven't read the prologue yet, as I'm waiting for Part 1 to be posted* so that I can read them back to back, but the wait is starting to take it's toll on my sanity.

*Well, I'm also working through a backlog of other books before I get to that but still...