Quantum Slipstream Drive

Got something non-Star Traks related to say? Put it in here.

Could Traks include the slipstream drive?

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes : 3

Quantum Slipstream Drive

Postby b-guy » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:10 am

I haven't bought a new Star Trek book in ages. But I have looked at the back covers of a few.

For the most part, I'm not impressed with where they're taking the franchise, even though I know the books aren't cannon. Weird stuff with the Borg, more 'End of the Federation' stuff...basically, I'm not interested.

However, I did notice that in the Destiny storyline and in something new coming out, Typhon Pact, the quantum slipstream drive is making a reappearance.

I have to admit, there is something attractive about a technology that makes getting from pont A to point B faster. I know we've taken little shortcuts of our own (I think Alan or Anthony joked about a shortcut between Waystation and Earth). But long voyages also allow for some interesting storylines. The Bast arc and the Silverado treks between Matria and Waystation come to mind.

So the question is...should upcoming Traks stories start including quantum slipstream drive? If so, to what extent?
Working on:

Modeling - USS Secondprize Bridge
b-guy
Lt Silverado

Re: Quantum Slipstream Drive

Postby Meneks » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:04 am

Who needs quantum slipstream when one has already invented hypertranswarp to get to plaid faster?
Currently working on -
Star Traks: BorgSpace - Book 3, Part 1 - "Invocation of the Birds - Ruffled Vulture, Dusty Pheonix"

--Time is merely an illusion perpetrated by the manufacturers of space
(Anonymous)
Meneks
Queen of BorgSpace

Postby borgcrazy » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:58 pm

My position on such considerations has always been, "Does this serve the story"? If the cha'DIchtev had used slipstream to get from Qo'noS to glaQ, we'd never have met thul, or seen what a Klingon bake sale looks like, or ... wait, that hasn't happened yet. Nevermind.
At any rate, if including slipstream into Traks serves the story, go for it. If it hurts the story, though, don't. That's something that the mainstream Trek authors seem to be losing focus of; they seem to be more focused on selling books that they're forgetting that they need to have a decent story to tell also. The whole Borg arc just got messy, and the I felt the solution was way too Deux Ex Machina - they might as well have had Q snap his fingers for all the effort it took - and that left me feeling very dissatisfied as a reader.
So, to re-emphasize my original point, go with what will make a more satisfying story.
borgcrazy
Makin' Traks

Postby b-guy » Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:18 am

I tend to agree.

For the most part, I like long voyages, since they give the plenty of storytelling oppurtunities. But sometimes its nice to be able to have somebody or something right there when you need them it.

I'd never give Silverado a slipstream drive. That definately feels like cheating. But what I might consider, further down the road, is a class of small courier ship equipped with slipstream drive. Then I could use them when I need to, or just ignore them.

As for ultra-transwarp, you don't count, your Highness. (But we still love you!) Your series is hundreds of years in the future, and the Borg already have tons of stuff we don't. ;)
Working on:

Modeling - USS Secondprize Bridge
b-guy
Lt Silverado

Postby Mad Lensman » Mon May 24, 2010 7:14 am

I've voted yes and here's why.

Eventually we're going to have to admit the fact that there are an awful lot of Delta quadrant races who were originally contacted (or bothered) by Voyager - amongst these are some cracking opportunities for parody (The Hirogen alone .... the possibilities!!!!) And who could resist that huge Borg uni-matrix? - Now all we have to do is get the inept and underachieving there and back safely. Enter Slipstream drive. Safe (?), tested in canon, and an easy extension of the current tech aboard the current generation (Boldy excepted) and eras.

However, given the relative backward state of tech in the 23rd Century, I'm going to have to limit myself to playing with transwarp prototypes only..... But I can still have fun with that....! :lol:
Dr. Allison Reed: It's over, it's over. You did great! Do you need anything? Can we get you anything?
Harry Block: Ice cream... I'd like an ice cream please.
Dr. Allison Reed: Okay, what flavor?
Harry Block: It doesn't matter. It's for my ass.
Mad Lensman
'Orribly Original

Location: Officially somewhere dark and unheard of, south UK.

Postby Star Traks » Tue May 25, 2010 1:22 am

My two cents, each poster made good point(s)/scenario(s).

Voyager presented episodes reflecting some of those scenarios: Voyager 'Dragons Teeth' a typical starship stumbles into an uncharted slip stream system, the final Voyager episode - Janeway steals/borrows advanced armor/torpedo technolgy and Voyager enters Borg Matrix stream, and a forgotten Voyager episode name where Chakotay and Kim [in Voyager shuttle] lead Voyager into a stream - a miscalculation causes the loss of Voyager, Chakotay and Kim commandeer Voyager shuttle to alter time line.
All three episodes were well written enriching character definition and display of involuntary learning/survival under unforeseen conditions

Back to Real Life !
Distant Origin 3.23 Saurian Professor Gegen: It wasn't an invasion. We were on a field expedition to learn more about your species. We meant no harm. I'm a molecular paleontologist.
Chakotay: [referring to injury] Do you always harpoon the local wildlife?
Star Traks
El yerno no favorito

Postby borgcrazy » Tue May 25, 2010 7:38 pm

The Chakotay/Kim episode was "Timeless", and is a good example of why this tech won't be perfect "out of the box", so to speak. Honestly, part of me sees slipstream in the current Trek storyline going the way of transwarp in the TOS movies - it's something Starfleet will play with for a little while, but get bored or frustrated with it and shelve it until later. That's just me, though.
Even if Starfleet decides to pursue slipstream research, I really don't expect standard warp drive to be replaced for a long while. As awesome and streamlined as Starfleet is, it's still a bureaucracy, and they still have to get funding and approval from an even bigger bureaucracy, the Federation.
borgcrazy
Makin' Traks

Postby JHauck » Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:14 am

I'd only use it as a "hiccup" style device...not something that could be used for more than an hour or two without exploding and wrecking the whole ship, as they're just *researching* the technology at this point. There are elements that only Borg can control as they're all interlinked and able to stay ahead of problems unlike individual beings everywhere else. Like the Picard maneuver, its good for sudden evasive gestures but not for the transport of the entire expedition. (At least, not for a few more years until Bio-Utility-Grafts are expected to come into common use.)
JHauck
Traks Fan

Postby borgcrazy » Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:05 pm

JHauck wrote:(At least, not for a few more years until Bio-Utility-Grafts are expected to come into common use.)

That sounds like it would have a lot of "bugs" in it. Get it? B.U.G.?
borgcrazy
Makin' Traks

Postby JHauck » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:55 am

Wocka, wocka, wocka! (Fozzie Bear/Muppets reference.) (Groan!)
JHauck
Traks Fan

Next

Return to General Gabbery