Quick Takes 2: The Sequel!

Got something non-Star Traks related to say? Put it in here.
'Orribly Original
Location: Officially somewhere dark and unheard of, south UK.

Re: Quick Takes 2: The Sequel!

Post by Mad Lensman »

Awww... crap, there goes ANOTHER few hours of life then!!!! Ha ha! :D
Dr. Allison Reed: It's over, it's over. You did great! Do you need anything? Can we get you anything?
Harry Block: Ice cream... I'd like an ice cream please.
Dr. Allison Reed: Okay, what flavor?
Harry Block: It doesn't matter. It's for my ass.
Makin' Traks

Post by borgcrazy »

I'm already drooling on my Aperture Science Portal Device, which in hindsight might not be such a good idea... If memory serves, it doesn't respond well to moisture...
Queen of BorgSpace

Post by Meneks »

Kick-Ass

I think Quentin Tarrentino was the idol for this director. In other words, expect foul language, violence, and people dying left and right (and overhead). That said, I went into this movie expecting all the above; and I was not disappointed. Don't get me wrong, while there was a much death - the lumber microwave was especially, um, gruesome; and then there was the homage to Halo and all first-person shooters - it seemed to not be too gratuitous. Not like, say, Kill Bill. When a drug lord minion, hooker, or innocient bystander died, there was actually a reason for it.

I did like this movie. Yup. Perfect for a Saturday following a too-long day of running errands, cleaning, and so forth.

Without giving away too much, let's just say that I would expect the 11-year old (character) to be spending a lot of her time in therapy. She is...scary. Let's just leave it at that. She also has quite a colorful language.

I suggest to go see this movie, if you haven't already.
Currently working on -
Star Traks: BorgSpace - Book 3, Part 1 - "Invocation of the Birds - Ruffled Vulture, Dusty Pheonix"

--Time is merely an illusion perpetrated by the manufacturers of space
(Anonymous)
Head Traks Guy

Post by cmdrajd »

Amazingly, I made it out to two of the newer releases...

INCEPTION
There were moments in "Inception," particularly in the last hour, that reminded me why I love movies. I've seen critics arguing about the ending and the lack of character development, but I can't say that any of that bothered me. To me, this was a film more about the story it was telling than the people in it. It's intricately constructed and wonderfully executed. At a basic level, it's a heist film, but its heist is taking place on a completely different kind of playing field. None of the cast is going to get an Oscar nod for their work in "Inception," but everyone puts in a solid performance, which is important in making the events of the movie work. I won't claim that "Inception" is for everybody (one of my coworkers was bored out of her mind), but I loved it.

SALT
Every once in a while, I like a big dumb action movie. I thought "Shoot 'Em Up" was a lot of fun, and I'm really looking forward to seeing both "The Losers" and "The A-Team" on DVD. "Salt," however, is a stupid action movie. There's a subtle difference. "Shoot 'Em Up" knew how ridiculous it was and seemed to revel in going as far over the top as possible in an attempt to entertain the audience. "Salt" seems to take itself completely seriously even as each new plot turn gets more and more ridiculous. At several points in the movie I said to myself, "Seriously? That's where you're going with this? SERIOUSLY?" Yes, Angelina Jolie can handle stunts and action scenes, but we knew that already. Chiwetel Ejiofor, who was so great in "Serenity," puts in a good performance, but after this and "2012," he really needs to have a word with his agent. If for some reason they end up making a sequel to this piece of...not great filmmaking, however, I insist that it be called "2 Salty."
"I'm not insane -- my mother had me tested." - Sheldon Cooper, "The Big Bang Theory"
Captain Silverado

Post by b-guy »

Tron Legacy

How much did I like this movie? I liked it enough that I had to go and watch the original TRON. (Cheesy as it was.)

Tron Legacy was slick. It looked really good and really modern, while still staying fairly true to the original. You don't have to see the first one to see the second one, the plots are very independent and what you need to know, you're told.

If you did see the original. this one takes place about 20 years later. Flynn, the main guy from the first one, has been missing for years leaving behind a son. After the kid, now in his late 20s, gets a clue about his father's whereabouts, he finds himself trapped in a virtual world; the same virtual world that's held his father captive for so long.

There are a lot of other little bits, but that's the main plot. Lots of CG eye candy, a villian or two.

Overall maybe a 7/10.
Working on:

Modeling - Ambassador-class variant
Website Upgrades