Halfway to Haven Posting & Discussion

This is the place to discuss the various Star Traks series and stories.
Captain Silverado

Re: Halfway to Haven Posting & Discussion

Post by b-guy »

New Halfway to Haven

1.7 - Dance-Off

Haven is being overrun by Matrian scientists eager to turn the place upside down, and inside out. But damn, they've got the moves! No, not like Jagger, I fricken hate that song. But still, they've got some pretty sweet moves...and some slightly sinister plans...

Sorry for the delay folks.

http://www.khobrah.net/silver/h2h
Working on:

Modeling - Ambassador-class variant
Website Upgrades
Captain Silverado

Post by b-guy »

New Halfway to Haven

1.8 - Trade, Part 1

Starfleet suddenly takes a new interest in Starbase 341, and has decided to send out a boatload of dignitaries. But Simplot & Abela's
plans for a good impression are shot to hell when said dignitary dingy goes inexplicably missing...

Now on the Halfway to Haven Season 1 page.

http://www.khobrah.net/silver/h2h

And with that, Halfway to Haven commences it's mid-season break. Another 8-story run will commence once I have a change to catch up on some writing. In the meantime, Crash Course will post its final two stories over the course of the next month.

Brendan
Working on:

Website Upgrades
El yerno no favorito

Post by Star Traks »

Now this other Starfleeter wanted to take off in a two hundred year old Matrian scout that
had been sitting in a docking bay most of its life

Refreshing read !
Several thoughts crossed my mind with above line - not ranked in any particular order

> Utilize what is available
> Indianapolis clause - powers to be would decree: 'Virgil should had foreseen the hijacking attempt and made every resistance against the attempt'
> Voyager - Dragons' Teeth - Chakotay: [to the effect] 'their ships may be five hundred years old but those particle accelerators pack quite a punch'
> Best wishes to both Virgil & Mytim that their Matrian scout ship has not been cannabilized in one way or another before it was placed in the Haven docking bay.
> Captain Ron [actor Kurt Russell to the effect]- 'if we break down, it will be out there'
Distant Origin 3.23 Saurian Professor Gegen: It wasn't an invasion. We were on a field expedition to learn more about your species. We meant no harm. I'm a molecular paleontologist.
Chakotay: [referring to injury] Do you always harpoon the local wildlife?
Captain Silverado

Post by b-guy »

I guess I forgot to post any comments on the last two stories. And since I won't be posting a new H2H for at least a couple of months, I probably should.

1.7 - Dance Off

Two things happening here. First, I wanted to try and inject a little more fun into the series. Maybe I'm getting old and boring, but I miss the silly antics of the Secondprize crew and the earlier Silverado & Vexed Generation series. I think one of my bigger challeges with H2H is finding ways to make the characters funny, but without resorting to the same stuff we've seen before. And with the number of Traks series, it's tough! 'How about an android? No, Larkin. Uhhh...scared of everything? Sefelt. Bubbly blond? Yanick. Sex-fiend? Nope, Russel, Burns & Vaugn have that covered. How about a strong female lead...oh...that Beck woman beat me. Hmmm, I could have a gay character...no, Jall. Oh! Oh! Let's put an army unit on the...shit, Waystation already did that.'

You see my point.

So I'm still working to find ways to make the H2H guys stand out. Laarthi and Boxer have been fun, but sadly most of the characters still seem to have too much of other people in them. Abela is definately a Major Kira type, Virgii is a borderline Dillon (more to come on that front), Shurgroe is leaning towards Sefelt's level of fear, and everytime I come up with an idea for Annerson, I think 'No, that's something Dr. Browinging would do.' Mytim's little experience borders pretty close to Noonan, though in more of a witch direction. I gotta stop trying to be mysterious with that one and make it funny.

Anyway, that got a bit off topic. My point was, I wanted to put in something that was a bit different, and having Wyer be a closet dancer was all I could come up with. Luckily, that led to the whole idea of him and a bad guy, both frantically trying to shake their respective booties in order to hold on to control of the city. The hostile intruder angle also gave me a chance to give Stoneryder a chance to do something other than sit in a corner somewhere being perverted.

My other idea with this one was to try and show that despite being fairly incompetent, the Starfleet guys still have a few things to teach the Matrians. And I don't mean to go on a 'White Messiah' sort of direction with this series, but given that the Matrians have had very limited contact with other races in the past two centuries, them gaining experience is logically part of series.

Anyway, those issues aside, this was a fun story to write, and I think it turned out fairly well. (The part with Simplot trying to figure out the gesture animation and looking silly may or may not have been based on watching my aunts play Wii.)

Trades - Part 1

Originally, this story was titled 'The Way We Want To Be' and was supposed to revolve around the Haven/Starbase 341 crew fighting tooth and nail to scam the review board into giving them the Waystation-2 designation. On the other hand, that wasn't a big enough story to fill a two parter, so I decided I wanted to find a way to bring the the Haven & Roadrunner crews together for the mid-season special, temporarily or not. I really wanted to give a sense of culture shock for the Roadrunner crew, basically they've been trapped in a tiny ship for months, now suddenly they're in a three-kilometer city. The Haven crew, on the other hand, has managed to get along well without the Roadrunner officers and could really care less that they've arrived. I think I'll have a lot more to play with here when/if the Roadrunner comes back permanantly.

I also needed to address the whole saboteur storyline. I'll confess and come clean: Sabotaging the Roadrunner was mostly a plot to explain why Boxer & Laarthi were aboard, and as a way to ensure that the ship overshot the Matrian system, even with Haven trying to get them out of the slipstream. I could have had the saboteur die when Laarthi blew them out Boxer's window a story or two later, but Penelope's been around since Jeffery & Sylvia spent time on the Stallion, and I didn't want to kill her off. Trades 1 & 2 give me a chance to deal with that. I don't promise closure, but at least that won't be hanging around the back of the bunch like the unseen brown banana.

Speaking of Penelope and Amy, I'll come clean here too. Two of my bosses at my old company were named Amy and Penny. (Different last names than the characters.) Penny HATED being called Penelope, and as you'll see in the next story, Penelope HATES being called Penny. How these two office-type ladies turned into Section 31 agents is lost even to me, but whatever.

And putting Wyer in a position where he's going to spending a good chunk of the next story defusing a bomb just felt like a lovely piece of irony.

Misc Stuff

Trades Part 2 is finished and will be the first story up next run. Expect to see a brief cameo by another beloved Traks crew...one that's NOT Silverado. The Way We Want To Be has been completed and will be the second story of the next run. Definately silly shinnanigans in that one. Following that we've got the introduction of a new bad-guy on the Roadrunner side, some dastardly doings on the Haven side, and hopefully a bit more attention to little character moments that can further develop these guys.

Happy Holidays!
Working on:

Website Upgrades
Captain Silverado

Post by b-guy »

H2H Update

Hey all,

In case anybody is wondering, H2H will resume posting within a couple of weeks. My plan was to finish 1.14 before I resume posting, thus giving myself plenty of time to work on the season finale. That being said, 1.14 is now 1.14 and 1.15, as I found the Haven/Roadrunner stories I was trying to entertwine were too big to be lumped together. So...this is now a 17 story run.

1.15 is 75% finished, with 1.14 being about 40%. As soon as one of them is complete (and Alan gives the OK) posting will resume with Trades - Part 2.

Happy Reading Week.

Brendan
Working on:

Website Upgrades
Captain Silverado

Post by b-guy »

New Halfway to Haven!

Trade - Part 2

With Simplot and Shurgroe chasing after the hijacked USS Roadrunner, Starbase 341 has only the bomb-thwarting skills of Wyer and Stoneryder to save them as the city ticks towards total destruction! As Boxer, Laarthi and Mytim try to stop the Roadrunner on its race to an unknown fate, a force more twisted than any of them suspects is preparing for the confrontation...

www.khobrah.net/silver/h2h/

Brendan
Working on:

Website Upgrades
El yerno no favorito

Post by Star Traks »

Hope all is well for everyone - had a slight break in a blurry of activity for the past three weeks

great character definition for including, but not limited to the new Section 31 duo, Virgil, Wyer and Stoneryder.

the Stoneryder character - perhaps an [relatively ancient - well, may be ancient] Army term 'duck' - maintain their qualifications but will search for opportunities to avoid action -

Wyer initially unwilling to use Haven transporter[s] on the bomb - superior officers will probably dog this character in expanding typical Lt. paradigm

GTG - Take Care
Last edited by Star Traks on Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Distant Origin 3.23 Saurian Professor Gegen: It wasn't an invasion. We were on a field expedition to learn more about your species. We meant no harm. I'm a molecular paleontologist.
Captain Silverado

Post by b-guy »

New Halfway to Haven!

1.10 - The Way We Want To Be

With the unexpected crisis of the week cleared up, it's time for Simplot and Abela to start worrying about the original crisis that had already popped up before the new crisis came around. Confused yet? Good! That's their plan exactly...

Coming at you from San Francisco Airport, courtey of annoying connecting flights.

www.khobrah.net/silver/h2h

Have a good night!
Working on:

Website Upgrades
El yerno no favorito

Post by Star Traks »

The hallway/mall routine for the visiting delegation gives a very good primer on what theater work is like for both actors and grips.
"Is it me, or are people getting more tired and sweaty the further we go?" one of the board
members asked. "I haven't noticed," Simplot lied...I can't believe your people watch this drivel," Wyer said, "Honestly, most celebrities end up as civil servants in their next life anyway
" Beetlejuice Movie had a line to the effect: 'People who commit suicide return as civil servants'

Hard to say which was the more enjoyable read the recent story or the Devonshire "the Man Trap"

Take Care!
Captain Silverado

Post by b-guy »

" Beetlejuice Movie had a line to the effect: 'People who commit suicide return as civil servants'
HAH! I wasn't sure if anybody was going to catch that reference! Well done!
Working on:

Website Upgrades