I am not a Spammer/Spambot: The Introductory Thread

Got something non-Star Traks related to say? Put it in here.
Head Traks Guy

I am not a Spammer/Spambot: The Introductory Thread

Post by cmdrajd »

Hello, Everyone. It's that time again. As we set forth in this bold new forum, I am again at war with the forces of spammers, spambots, and the like at they try to invade our sanctuary with promises to send up cheap drugs or ways to improve sexual performance.

I have taken a few steps to limit fake registrations, but there are still several people on the members list that have not made any posts. Soon the silent shall be culled, but, before that happens, I want to give folks a fair chance to pop up and say hi to the group. Some people may be legitimate lurkers. I'm fine with that. Just let us know. As for others folks...well, if your registration name looks like your cat typed it while walking across your keyboard, I'll admit to being suspicious about your intentions toward our virtual home here.

Most of the old hands have done this before, but please take a moment to introduce yourself. No real names required, of course, but say a bit about who you are and how you got involved in Traks either as a reader or a writer.

I'll start...

Hi, I'm Alan. In my real life I'm an IT guy living in Maryland. I'm married with a couple of kids, and in my free time (what's that?) I like to write. watch TV and movies, and obsess over pop culture minutia. I discovered Star Trek when I was 12 years old by watching reruns of TOS in the afternoons after school. TNG premiered a year later, turning me into a full-on Trek addict. Part of that addiction resulted in the creation of Star Traks during my Freshman year of college. A few years later, I decided to post the stories on one of them new-fangled web site thingies, and here we are. I still love writing the stories; although, I don't crank them out nearly as quickly as I used to due the time sink that is real life.

All right. Who's next?
"I'm not insane -- my mother had me tested." - Sheldon Cooper, "The Big Bang Theory"
'Orribly Original
Location: Officially somewhere dark and unheard of, south UK.

Re: I am not a Spammer/Spambot: The Introductory Thread

Post by Mad Lensman »

Aren't we doing them in series chronological order??? <Looks at the baffled gazes in the writers room> Ok.. I'll bite..!

I'm Mark, I write the spin off Star Traks:Origins, in real life, I am a creation of the latest fad here in the UK of retraining security officers to be IT guys. Ok, we might not get the job done right first time, but we'll have a hell of a time telling the stories about getting very wrong later! I was introduced to Trek from age 8, like Alan watching the reruns of TOS, then I started to attend conventions.... Did I tell you the one about meeting James Doohan in a night club in Manchester? Things went blurry for a while after that binge....! There exists in a Marie Claire magazine circa 1991/2 a piccy of me in full regalia, but that's another story....!

I got seriously into Traks during many a long night shift and had read everything written by all the authors (more than once in the case of some series) before finally getting up the courage to join the last forum, chat with the other authors (We're not worthy syndrome) and finally start posting the odd story under the Origins banner. The rest is history as they say, well, actually no, history is a boring subject developed primarily to fill out the curriculm....!

AT 36 (Tomorrow!!!!!) I think I'm often seen as the old f4rt of the group, and am frequently found dozing on the verandah with an orange juice slowly pouring into my current laptop,....

See you round the galaxy.... or on the forum anyways.. Next!!!! :D
Dr. Allison Reed: It's over, it's over. You did great! Do you need anything? Can we get you anything?
Harry Block: Ice cream... I'd like an ice cream please.
Dr. Allison Reed: Okay, what flavor?
Harry Block: It doesn't matter. It's for my ass.
El yerno no favorito

Post by Star Traks »

Greetings One and All

Hello, I'm Bob, married with two young children. Both Cmdr & Mad Lensman can describe married life Before Children [BC] and After Children [AC].
In Boldly Gone, a character Remax made a comment [to the effect]: ‘…age brings wisdom…’ The diesel/electric sub avatar reflects my age of 49.
During the 60s, I was introduced to TOS along with an IBM 360 computer and tape reel machines similar to shown as in the TOS episode 'Yesterday is Tomorrow'.
My Federal jobs quickly introduced systemic errors up and down and all around with hardware/software/operating equipment. I worked on numerous volunteer theatre sets after work before marriage.

Take Care !
Distant Origin 3.23 Saurian Professor Gegen: It wasn't an invasion. We were on a field expedition to learn more about your species. We meant no harm. I'm a molecular paleontologist.
Chakotay: [referring to injury] Do you always harpoon the local wildlife?
Captain Silverado

Post by b-guy »

Hi everybody,

Brendan here. I'm the author of Star Traks: Silverado, Star Traks: Crash Course and the producer (?) of Star Traks: Machinima. I'm going into my third year of computer engineering at the Royal Military College of Canada in beautiful Kingston. (FYOP starts tomorrow!)

I discovered Star Trek when I was a kid, mostly through Dad watching the early movies. We didn't have cable so my viewing options were limited. But I do remember seeing some TOS and TNG episodes. I got into DS9 and Voyager later on.

I discovered Star Traks in my first run through college (2000-2002) in an attempt to keep myself occupied during boring classes. I was afraid that no new stories were being written, as all the series were on haitus. Luckily, that wasn't the case. After a couple of years (and a move to Toronto) I finally contacted Alan & Anthony and even sent in a story. One turned into two, then three, then four...and at that point I had to admit it was a series.
Working on:

Modeling - Ambassador-class variant
Website Upgrades
Makin' Traks

Post by borgcrazy »

cmdrajd wrote: with promises to send up cheap drugs or ways to improve sexual performance.
Oftentimes both...
I'm Tom and I thought I was a Lurker for a while, but it turns out I'm still an ordinary Hydralisk; some pesky Zerglings had put Plaster of Paris Lurker parts on my carapace while I was hibernating one night and...
What? Oh, not that kind of lurker? Mybad.
I'm the quintessential Trek nerd; virgin, girlfriend-less, only recently even kissed a girl outside my family. Oh, and I'm 27 and living with my friend's family. Throw in a basement and corrective lenses and I'd be a walking Star Trek stereotype.
I also work at Toys R Us as the head of Maintenance (though with a department consisting of only one person - me - it's hard to NOT be the department head), which is basically a glorified janitor; I don't actually do much "maintaining" beyond simple cleaning. Most of the real maintenance jobs are outsourced to various vendor companies. Fine by me; the simply housekeeping duties are easy, and I've been doing most of them all my life in some capacity anyway so it's all good. Even the "hard" stuff ain't that big of a deal; those duties are usually more boring and tedious than difficult.
Got into Trek in the early 90's when my stepdad took me and my sister to see Star Trek 6 in the theater, then got home that to find my mom watching TNG, which got me to wondering, "What the heck IS this Star Trek thing and why is it everywhere?"
Found Traks one long, quiet afternoon after doing a random search for "Borg", which brought up Star Traks: BorgSpace, and wound up changing my life.
Since then, I've started the oft-delayed Governor's Song and tried my hand at a couple guest shots for a couple other series (none of which have seen the LCD light of a monitor yet, to my knowledge) and yeah, here I am. w00t.
Traks Fan

Post by Donald »

Hi all.

I'm Donald, a 49 year old married man from Scotland. I do not have red hair, and am more likely to break your warp drive than fix it, probably having several key bolts left over.

Spent the last 30 years working for the railways, currently as a Safety Trainer. Lets me blether to different people and call it work though.

I first saw Star Trek on a ancient Black and white TV set, in the depths of 1970, for about 5 minutes until my dad announced he wasn't watching that rubbish, and turned on the news. Got addicted to Silverado during a quiet time at work, and am therefore desperate to find out what comes next. (Open plea to Brendan here: please finish Silverado!!!!! I'm more frustrated than Jall in a shoe shop that only sells brogues!)

Anyhow, I've only just joined, so thought I'd say hi.
Power is Nothing without control. That's why I'm not allowed either!
Captain Silverado

Post by b-guy »

<peers around the corner, eyes wide in surprise>

Somebody talking to me?

I'm still working on Silverado. I still have to finish the final third of the post-Season 4 trilogy...

Glad to hear there're people reading it though!
Working on:

Modeling - Ambassador-class variant
Website Upgrades
'Orribly Original
Location: Officially somewhere dark and unheard of, south UK.

Post by Mad Lensman »

Donald wrote:Spent the last 30 years working for the railways, currently as a Safety Trainer.
They have those on British railways??? Oh wow - here was me thinking everything got that unsafe all on it's very ownsome!!! - Welcome to the fold Donald - be watching out for some rail related mayhem coming soon to a txt file near you....! :D
Dr. Allison Reed: It's over, it's over. You did great! Do you need anything? Can we get you anything?
Harry Block: Ice cream... I'd like an ice cream please.
Dr. Allison Reed: Okay, what flavor?
Harry Block: It doesn't matter. It's for my ass.
Makin' Traks

Post by borgcrazy »

Mad Lensman wrote:
Donald wrote:Spent the last 30 years working for the railways, currently as a Safety Trainer.
They have those on British railways??? Oh wow - here was me thinking everything got that unsafe all on it's very ownsome!!! - Welcome to the fold Donald - be watching out for some rail related mayhem coming soon to a txt file near you....! :D
Translation: Duck, cover and keep a fire extinguisher charged and nearby at all times!
Traks Fan

Post by Captain B »

Hi, I'm Anthony Butler and I'm...late (which seems to usually happen!)

I met Alan Decker the Summer before my freshman year of college in 1995 and we began talking about Star Trek. Nearly 15 years later, my early interest in Trek has evolved into a productive (at least to me) past-time of writing Star Traks, particularly the series Star Traks: The Vexed Generation and Boldly Gone...

The experience of writing these stories has led to hours of enjoyment, meeting new friends on this forum, and an escape from the dreaded real life (and isn't that what Sci Fi is so good for to begin with?).

I am in the process of one of my biggest feats of procrastination of all time, which is writing the final three stories of Star Traks: The Vexed Generation. After all these years it is finally coming to an end and I think I'm taking so long to finish because I don't want it to end.

Welcome, one and all...I'll be over there.
Currently writing: Somethin'

Favorite Traks Quote: "Free unnecessary enemas for everybody!"