I am not a Spammer/Spambot: The Introductory Thread

Got something non-Star Traks related to say? Put it in here.

Re: I am not a Spammer/Spambot: The Introductory Thread

Post by Cpt Sullivan »

And Captain B thought he was late...

Name: Sullivan

Serial Number: I don't know, CmdrAJD, did you ever give me one?

How did I get involved? I was sucked in. Pulled in? Dragged in kicking and screaming? Ok, in actuality, I had never heard of Star Trek until college. How is that possible, you ask? Easy. Live in the middle of BFE Alabama, 40 miles from the nearest city when cable is not available (FYI: Cable STILL isn't available where I grew up.) and you only get two channels on television. And you live with people who's control of the remote means Days of our Lives and Cosby Show and Matlock.

So to make a long story short (too late), when my new college friend said hey, I can't hang out because I HAVE to watch this show, I asked "what show?" In which he almost missed the episode as he was trying to recover from the shock and awe of my lack of knowledge. And the rest is history as I was drug into Room 651 and forced to watch TV. :)
Head Traks Guy

Post by cmdrajd »

I'm so glad I could assist in your education. :)
"I'm not insane -- my mother had me tested." - Sheldon Cooper, "The Big Bang Theory"
Makin' Traks

Post by borgcrazy »

Resistance proved to be futile, once again. You've made an excellent dr... Trekkie.
Head Traks Guy

Post by cmdrajd »

Another quick update from the SpamWars front...

The IP address banning has been working fairly well, and I've noticed a huge drop in fake registrations. There are still a few happening each day, though, so, in order to provide something closer to round-the-clock protection, I've reached across the pond, smacked Mad Lensman upside the head, and deputized him in the fight against the spammers. Thank you, Mad, for responding to the call of duty...or taking pity on my groveling. However you want to look at it.

In any case, if you happen to see a spam thread pop up, feel free to contact either of us.

That said, yes we know there are two spam threads at the bottom of the General Gabbery section. Apparently there was some kind of database error because I sincerely doubt that they were created this week but received their most recent post in 1969. Well, there was either an error or someone with a time machine has some explaining to do. If you click on the posts, you are also informed that they don't actually exist. They are, in short, ghost threads. I'm going to see if I can figure out how to get rid of them, and if that fails, I'll call in Peter, Ray, Winston, and Egon.

Finally, as you may or may not have noticed from the change to my signature, I am experimenting with blogging, mainly for the purposes of creating a memory dump of things Traks related. I'm sure some of what will end up there is touched on in the wiki, but I did not want to clutter up the wiki with the other assorted odds and ends that are going to be put in the blog. Basically, I'm planning to use the blog to back up my own recollections before I lose them completely.

UPDATE: HA! I busted the ghost threads!
"I'm not insane -- my mother had me tested." - Sheldon Cooper, "The Big Bang Theory"
'Orribly Original
Location: Officially somewhere dark and unheard of, south UK.

Post by Mad Lensman »

Smart Arse....

I was trying to kill those meeself...!!!

Thanks (I think) for the deputising... I'll try not to let absolute power corrupt absolutely! Again!....! :lol:
Dr. Allison Reed: It's over, it's over. You did great! Do you need anything? Can we get you anything?
Harry Block: Ice cream... I'd like an ice cream please.
Dr. Allison Reed: Okay, what flavor?
Harry Block: It doesn't matter. It's for my ass.
Queen of BorgSpace

Post by Meneks »

No one is later to the party than me....

Who am I? Name is Maija, and I'm an addict. What I am an addicted to, I'll leave up to you. At any rate, I am fish biologist who currently works in Nevada. Yes, before you ask, there are fish in Nevada. It isn't all sagebrush, just most of it. Someday I'll escape to wetter climes where a lunker fish is more than 10" long, but that is another story all in of itself.

I've always been writing something or another, back as far as I can remember: if you ask nicely, I'll even allow you to read some of my projects. As far as Star Trek, I'll blame my mother on that: she, not a great sci-fi fan, sat me in front of the TV to watch Star Trek when I was a wee one, and, well, something *clicked*. Star Trek and Perry Mason and original Battlestar Galactica and Monty Python's Flying Circus...those are the shows I recall growing up with. And when I was reading, it was 'light' books such as Robinson Cruseo, 20-Thousand Leagues under the Sea, Swiss Family Robinson (/much/ better than the Disneyfied version), and Gulliver's Travels. Oh, and the Lord of the Rings trilogy (I still have these very dog-earred books). Understand, I was reading all these when I was ten years old. Probably reveals more about me than I wish.

I discovered Star Traks while an undergraduate in college. Something about it just *clicked*. I don't know if it was that same *click* when I watched Kirk and Spock kick ass while red shirts died horrible deaths, but it was close. As I had been keeping up with all the Trek series over the years, I immediately thought about what I might be able to write. For whatever reason, I was drawn to the concept of the Borg. Everyone wants to write about the 'hero'; and I felt that it would be a much greater challenge to write a villian. And not only write a villian, but to write it in such a way that keeps him/her a villian to those he/she interacts with, yet allow the reader a degree of...some word that is on the tip of my tongue, and which I will recall sometime in the middle of the night. No matter. Regardless of my brain-farts, I started writing from the Borg point of view, sometime in there contacting Alan. Thus Star Traks: BorgSpace was born. Or assimilated.
Currently working on -
Star Traks: BorgSpace - Book 3, Part 1 - "Invocation of the Birds - Ruffled Vulture, Dusty Pheonix"

--Time is merely an illusion perpetrated by the manufacturers of space
(Anonymous)
Traks Fan

Post by JHauck »

Greetings, Humans. I am Jason Kim Scott Hauck in real-life, a 34 year old part-time stockperson from Surrey that commutes to work in West Vancouver. I'm also a webmaster/administrator of "Star Trek: New Worlds" a newly revitalized fic anthology that was killed at Geocities following the decision to discontinue their free/ad-supported accounts. I'm hoping to see some stand-alone Star Traks stories that have nothing to do with ongoing story arcs throughout the rest of the "Star Traks Nexus" website, in 2010/2011. Let me know what you think of my "Star Traks: The Continuing Blunder" (Nem-Era) proposals in the other threads I've visited.

http://stnewworlds.webs.com
El yerno no favorito

Post by Star Traks »

JHauck wrote:
Why not try out a page of your own @ my social networking sites? ...http://scifivisions.ning.com/profile/JasonHauck

Welcome to Star Traks Forum Jason :!:
There is a good clip/script for 'Star Trek: Spectre Of The Past" "Scene 41" "Remember Kristie / Sector 585" on http://scifivisions.ning.com/profile/JasonHauck .
Personally, the clip/script refreshed the tough work with hematoma/brain injury patients

:arrow: Got to go - other duties as assigned / in lieu of training

Take Care :!:
Distant Origin 3.23 Saurian Professor Gegen: It wasn't an invasion. We were on a field expedition to learn more about your species. We meant no harm. I'm a molecular paleontologist.
Chakotay: [referring to injury] Do you always harpoon the local wildlife?
Head Traks Guy

Post by cmdrajd »

Welcome, JHauck.
JHauck wrote:I'm hoping to see some stand-alone Star Traks stories that have nothing to do with ongoing story arcs throughout the rest of the "Star Traks Nexus" website, in 2010/2011.
Honestly, I don't know how many one-shot stories you'll be seeing. Most of us seem to be in the grip of larger storylines. Silverado, for example, is in the middle of one of the most ambitious arcs any of us have ever attempted, and I can tell you that the Boldly Gone run that started on 7/25 is going to be following up on plot threads from earlier in the series (not to mention resolving the cliffhanger ending of the last run).
Traks Fan

Post by Captain B »

Since its been a year or more since my last post, thought I would reintroduce myself here.

Name: Anthony

How I got involved: Read my first Star Traks story in 1995. Experienced fits of laughter, euphoria, then dizziness, followed by unconsciousness. Then I woke up here, disoriented, with less hair.

Author of: Star Traks: The Vexed Generation; Star Traks: Boldly Gone... (co-author); several questionable text messages.

Gang, sorry that I've been away so long. My girlfriend moved in last January, things have picked up at work, and I've woefully neglected Star Traks. Hope all of you are well. I look forward to catching up with everyone.

Anthony
Currently writing: Somethin'

Favorite Traks Quote: "Free unnecessary enemas for everybody!"